12:18 06th Jun, 2013
Samsung GALAXY S4 Active Waterproof Smartphone Takes On Xperia ZR
Watered down version of the SGS4 with Android 4.2, comes with a 5" Full HD screen and is powered by a quad-core CPU.
Samsung seems to have taken a cue from the Sony Xperia ZR and has announced a waterproof version of the SGS4 known as the GALAXY S4 Active. The IP67 certified smartphone is touted to be able to withstand water at a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes and is also dust-resistant. The Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) handset is powered by a 1.9 GHz quad-core CPU unlike its octo-core elder sibling.
There is a similarly sized 5" Full HD touchscreen but with a TFT panel instead of SuperAMOLED. It features an ample 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage, and option to add up to 64 GB more via microSDXC. Users will also get 50 GB of free Dropbox cloud storage. An 8 MP rear camera with LED flash is present in place of 13 MP of the flagship and a 2 MP front camera that can record HD videos too, takes care of video calls. The volume control rocker serves as a hardware camera shutter button, which is certainly a better thing than the capacitive option in other Android phones. Here are the handset's specifications:
- Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), Google Play Store, TouchWiz UI.
- Waterproof at 1 metre depth for 30 minutes.
- 5" capacitive multi-touch TFT LCD with pixel dimensions of 1080x1920.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
- Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 SoC (1.9 GHz quad-core Krait 300 CPU and Adreno 320 GPU).
- 2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage, Up to 64 GB via microSDXC slot.
- 8 megapixel rear camera with autofocus and LED flash, 2 megapixel front camera.
- 2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, micro-USB 2.0, Infrared, A-GPS, GLONASS.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyro, Proximity, Compass, Barometer, Gesture.
- 2600 mAh Li-Ion battery.
- 5.5" (H) x 2.8" (W) x 0.36" (9.1 mm) (D), 151 grams.
The Active will come with various Samsung apps such as Air View, Air Gestures, and S Health fitness, and WatchON IR. It is slightly smaller than the SGS4 and also a little lighter, despite sharing almost the same hardware spec as the Xperia Z and SGS4 variant sold in the US. The 2600 mAh battery should provide decent backup. The handset will be available in Urban Grey, Flare Orange, and Dive Blue colours. While it is known that it will go on sale soon initially in US and Sweden, the pricing and availability in India is yet to be confirmed.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000