Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
18:46 24th Apr, 2013
ASUS Launches Intel Powered Fonepad 3G Tablet For Rs 16,000
The Jelly Bean device sports a 7" IPS screen, 1.2 GHz Atom processor, and phone functionality.
As expected, Intel-based Android tablet ASUS FonePad has landed in India. Its 7" IPS screen comes with pixel dimensions of 1280x800. The slate features a 3 megapixel auto-focus rear camera long with a 1.2 mp front-facing snapper. On the software front, you get Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). According to the manufacturer, it's elegible for the 4.2 update. Other key specs include a 1.2 GHz Intel Atom Z2420 processor, 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of internal memory, microSD card slot, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, GPS, and 3G. And yes, it also supports voice calling. ASUS claims that the tab's 4270 mAh battery offers 9.8 hours of continuous video playback or 31 hours of 2G talk time. Detailed list of features is at the bottom of this article.
At the launch event in Delhi, we got a chance to take the FonePad for a quick spin. The device has a metallic finish that gives it a premium feel. The IPS screen is sharp and responsive. It's a fingerprint magnet, but then that's a common issue that plagues budget tablets. The software is well optimised, as I found the user interface to be very smooth. Moreover, I didn't notice any lag or stutter while playing Temple Run 2.
The Asus FonePad will start retailing next week, with a price tag of Rs. 16,000. So prepare yourself to see some more people happily slapping a 7" tablet across their faces.
- 7" 10-point multi-touch IPS screen with 1280x800 pixels.
- Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS.
- 3G voice calling and data support; Wi-Fi connectivity.
- 1.2 MP front facing camera.
- 3 MP rear camera (on select models).
- Intel Atom Z2420 processor.
- 1 GB of RAM.
- 16 GB / 32 GB internal storage; microSD card support.
- Expected battery backup of 9 hours.
- Available Colours: Titanium Grey and Champagne Gold.
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (October, 2014)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 20,000 (October, 2014)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 30,000 (October, 2014)
- Top Smartphones For Business Users
- Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
- Top Quad-Core Phones Under Rs 10,000 (August, 2014)
- Top Five Tablets Under Rs 10,000