21:56 13th Jan, 2013
CES 2013: Sony Xperia Z With 5" 1080p Display Announced
Flagship boasts reality display with quad-core processor and 13 MP rear camera.
Sony Mobile today announced its latest Android flagship smartphone Sony Xperia Z, at CES 2013. The device packs in some intersting innovations from the audio, visual, gaming, and imaging arenas in a bid to make it stand out against competition. The device comes with the Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2, and packs in a 5" display with pixel dimensions of 1080x1920. The 13 MP rear camera xomws with some features from Sony's digital camera range with a Exmor RS sensor with High Dynamic Range (HDR) video recording and 9 MP burst mode@10 fps.
[Also read: TechTree's brief explanation of why CES is a big deal in the world of tech]
Some of the handset's key specifications include:
- 5" 1080p "Reality" Capacitive touchscreen (443 ppi) with Scratch-resistant, shatter proof sheet on mineral glass.
- Tri-Band 3G (UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz), Quad-band 2G (GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).
- Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), Google Play support.
- 1.5 GHz Qualcomm APQ8064+MDM9215M Quad-core CPU,
Adreno 360Adreno 320 GPU, 2 GB RAM.
- 5.5" (l) x 2.8" (w) x 0.3" (7.9 mm) (d); weighs 146 grams.
- 13 megapixel Exmor RS rear camera with HDR video recording and 2.2 megapixel front facing camera.
- 16 GB flash storage and microSD card slot (supports up to 32 GB).
- 3.5 mm audio jack, HDMI out (via MHL support), Micro USB.
- aGPS, Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA Certified, Wi-Fi Hotspot; LTE and NFC on board.
- IPX5/7 (Water-resistant) and IP5X (Dust-proof).
- Battery: Talk time up to 11 hours and Standby time up to 23 days; capacity not specified.
The device includes a battery STAMINA mode which claims to increased the standby time fourfold. This works by killing the battery draining apps when the display is off and switching them back on with the screen. The Xperia Z also boasts IP55 and IP57 certifications, making the smartphone dust and water resistant for up to one meter in water.
The device along with its younger brother Xperia ZL (to be available in selected markets as a design variant with similar specs) will be released in the first by March 2013 with a Android 4.2 upgrade in the pipeline. There is no word on the pricing of the flagship yet, though. For more images of the Sony Xperia Z, check out the gallery below.
- Five Apps Every Doctor Must Have
- Top 5 Budget Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (April 2016)
- Top 5 Budget Smartphones Under Rs 15,000 (April 2016)
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000 (April 2016)
- Top 5 Smartphones Under Rs 20,000
- Top 5 Selfie Smartphone Recommendations
- Top 5 Chromebooks Available In India
- Five Best Compact Cameras Under Rs 10,000
- 5 Best Free Photo Editing Apps On Android
- TV Recommendations Under Rs 40,000