22:08 07th Sep, 2012
Amazon Unveils Android 4.0 Based New Kindle Fire HD With 8.9" Screen
ICS tablet features a pixel-packed IPS screen, stereo speakers, and a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor.
After rumours of a 10" Kindle Fire were rife across the web, Amazon has taken the wraps off the next iteration of its colour ebook. However, unlike what was expected, the company went on to launch an 8.9" version instead. The Wi-Fi + 4G-compliant tablet is currently available for pre-order in the US and select European countries.
Users who don't need 4G-LTE connectivity can also opt for a Wi-Fi only version. Here is the list of known specs:
- 4G LTE support (on select models).
- 8.9" 10-point capacitive touchscreen with pixel dimension of 1920x1200 (254 ppi).
- IPS display with advanced polarizing filter, and anti-glare technology.
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
- 1.5GHz dual-core OMAP4470 processor.
- 16 GB \ 32 GB internal storage.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.
- micro-USB port, micro-HDMI, 3.5 mm stereo jack.
- 9.4" (l) x 6.4" (w) x 0.35" (8.8 mm) (d); 567 grammes.
- Supported multimedia formats: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible Enhanced format (AAX), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, MP4, AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1, HE-AACv2, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HTML5, CSS3, MP4, 3GP, VP8 (.webm); supports 1080p video playback.
The tablet comes bundled with a new version of the Amazon Silk browser, Skype, and Dolby Digital Plus sound enhancement. It also comes with an X-Ray content analysis feature that gives you access to more information on a particular topic, in text files or videos. A quick tap will direct you to sources such as Wikipedia, IMDb, and YouTube. Since the tablet doesn't give access to Google Play, you are stuck with the Amazon Appstore instead.
Availability and pricing for India haven't been specified yet. In the US, the Wi-Fi versions cost $300 (Rs 17,000) and $370 (Rs 21,000) for the 16 GB and 32 GB models respectively. The 4G + Wi-Fi will cost $500 (Rs 28,000) and $600 (Rs 33,000) for the 32 GB and 64 GB variants respectively. The products will start shipping from November 20th. Don't forget to check out the gallery below for more product images.
- The Best Smartphones Under Rs.20,000
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets