Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
16:59 12th Jul, 2012
Vuclip Launches Mira!, A Women-Centric Mobile Video Portal, In India
Offers free access to health, cookery, and entertainment videos for the fairer sex; is compatible with a wide range of handsets.
Vuclip has launched a mobile video portal called Mira!, dedicated to women in India. The channel will provide free access to programmes covering various topics such as health, beauty, parenting, cookery, careers, and entertainment.
According to the company, the term "mira", meaning "wonderful" in Latin and "prosperity" in Sanskrit, represents the woman. During the launch event, Vuclip's Vice President Advertising Sales, Meera Chopra, said that only 14% of its 11 million users in India are women. With the release of this women-centric channel though, Vuclip expects to double its female userbase. Chief guest Kiran Walia, Women Development Minister for Delhi, also noted that mobile penetration among women in our country is only about 28%, as compared to 40% among men. She hoped that more mobile content oriented towards women would boost cellphone adoption among them. In my opinion, giving them all the Angry Birds games for free would be a lot more effective.
The Mira! service can be accessed from a wide variety of phones, from an entry-level, GPRS-enabled Java handset to a top-end smartphone. To view the content, click this link, or enter http://mira.vuclip.com in your phone's browser. Who wants to bet that a hell of a lot more men are going to end up visiting the site, then staying on for a lot longer than could be deemed appropriate?
- TV Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Purchasing A New TV
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (January, 2015)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 20,000 (February, 2015)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 30,000 (February, 2015)
- Top Smartphones For Business Users
- Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
- Top Quad-Core Phones Under Rs 10,000 (February, 2015)
- Top Tablet Recommendations Under Rs 10,000