12:48 24th Sep, 2014
Samsung Will Stop Selling Its Laptops (Including Chromebooks) In Europe
While the company will continue to sell PCs in other markets, it is the latest in a line of setbacks for the segment
Samsung has announced that it will discontinue sales of laptops – including chromebooks – in Europe for the time being. While the company did not offer a comprehensive view on why it made that decision, the contracting PC market should be a prime suspect.
"We quickly adapt to market needs and demands. In Europe, we will be discontinuing sales of laptops including Chromebooks for now,” the company told PC Advisor. “We will continue to thoroughly evaluate market conditions and will make further adjustments to maintain our competitiveness in emerging PC categories."
The company added that the move was specific to the region, and not necessarily reflective of the conditions in other markets. While the global PC market recently saw a return of stability, Samsung seems to be the latest manufacturer to rejig their presence in the segment.
Toshiba recently announced it would cut back on serving the consumer PC market, but instead of making a complete exit from the business, has decided to focus on making enterprise machines. Sony shut down its Vaio PC arm earlier this year, after suffering hefty losses.
Samsung will continue to sell its laptops and Chromebooks in other regions, and the statement clearly indicates that the door to re-enter the European PC market isn't completely shut. At a time when it's hard to pinpoint the exact future of PCs, it's likely that we'll see a hoard of companies follow in the footsteps of Sony, Toshiba and now Samsung.
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband
- Skullcandy Launches Noise Reduction Earbuds at RS. 7999
- Zebronics launches TWS earphone “Zeb-Sound Bomb”
- HiFuture launches the longest battery true wireless earbuds in India
- Digisol Launches Smart Switch for Smart Cities
- Airtel announces Revised Tariffs for Mobile customers
- Portronics launches iLUMI, an LED lamp with inbuilt Bluetooth Speaker
- Toreto launches its Remix Series of “USB Wall Charger” with Built-in Bluetooth Speaker
- Launching FINGERS LivMusic Wireless Neckband - Live, Breathe and Absorb Music Non-Stop!
- Techno Launches New Smartphone at Rs.8499