15:36 25th Aug, 2014
WhatsApp Now Serves 600 Million Users; 60 Million From India
While the number of users on the network seems to be growing at unprecedented rates, the same cannot be said about the app itself.
WhatsApp CEO and founder Jan Koum took to twitter to announce that the company now caters to 600,000,000 active users worldwide on a monthly basis. The messaging app that seems to dominate the messaging scene worldwide has indeed reached another milestone. CEO, Jan Koum who now sits with the board of Facebook could not seem happier.
Quite a large chunk of those users are from India itself as the company has seen increased growth in the Indian subcontinent. The user base that was hovering around 48 million in April has now jumped to 60 million. It’s no wonder that Telecom networks in India are fighting for OTT (Over The Top) players to implement charges, which somehow now seems pointless as the TRAI stated that operators should shut up and increase data charges instead.
Now serving 600,000,000 monthly active users. Yes, active and registered are very different types of numbers...— jan koum (@jankoum) August 25, 2014
As for WhatsApp, while everything does look sunny, users have yet to see new features showing up on the ageing messaging service. The UI has hardly changed over the years and even BlackBerry’s BBM service now has stickers along Facebook’s Messenger and services like WeChat that place second after WhatsApp. Indeed WhatsApp’s next target are voice calling services like Skype and Viber and the messaging service seems to be busy putting things into place in order to launch the service soon.
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-
- ADCOM Launches “Vision” - LED Headphones for Ultimate Gamers
- LAVA Launches Z71 with Dedicated Google Assistant Key
- Detel launches Amaze – Truly Wireless Bluetooth Speaker in India
- Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ crosses One million users
- Fujifilm India unfold its innovation prowess by showcasing Photo Imaging Product Portfolio at CEIF 2020
- DOLBY RAISES THE BAR FOR IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES AT CES 2020