Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
13:22 30th Jan, 2014
Google Sells Off Motorola Mobility To Lenovo For $2.9 Billion
The search-giant had acquired Motorola for a whopping $12.5 billion in 2011.
Motorola Mobility made headlines after Google decided to purchase it in 2011. However, after running it for a few years, the search giant has finally given up resurrecting the once leader in telecom. According to the official statement, Google has decided to sell off Motorola for around 2.9 Billion dollars. That's quite a loss-making deal considering that the Mountain View company had acquired Motorola for a whopping $12.5 billion.
Recently, Lenovo has been showing a lot of interest in phones. The company already has a wide range of Android smartphones in the market. What it lacks in the brand that cellphone buyers would trust. It's said that the Chinese laptop-maker was interested in buying Nokia's devices business, but it couldn't outbid Microsoft. Finally, they seem to have got a good deal on Motorola. On a related note, the Lenovo also owns IBM’s PC business.
According to Google, it will retain majority of Motorola's patent portfolio. As part of its ongoing relationship with Google, Lenovo will receive a license to this rich portfolio of patents and other intellectual property. Additionally Lenovo will receive over 2,000 patent assets, as well as the Motorola Mobility brand and trademark portfolio.
Currently, Motorola has almost no retail presence in Asia. However, with current developments, the things might change.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-