Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
23rd Apr 2014
Are those navigation buttons on your smartphone not working anymore after a nasty drop? Well, repairing the buttons is a definite solution. However, if you hate to spend money on gadgets (like me), or just too lazy to visit a service centre, we have some temporary
homeapp remedies for you. The solutions vary depending on the software platform. Considering that it's the most popular smartphone platform, let's start with Android.
For Android Smartphones
If your Android phone's hardware keys aren't responding, head over to Play Store and install Anywhere Key (no root). Developed by A.Akira, this app enables on-screen SoftKeys — Home, Multitasking, Back, Messaging, Settings, and more. There are quite a few similar apps in Google's app repository, but Anywhere Key makes it to our list since it doesn't require a rooted handset. This means you don't have to let go of your phone's warranty.
If you find Anywhere Key too colourful for your liking, you can give Simple Control a shot. This app provides an easy-to-use strip of navigation buttons. However, you may find it somewhat obtrusive. So yes, navigating with these virtual keys may not be as convenient as the hardware buttons, but then it's a substitute and not a replacement.
Unlike Android, Apple's mobile operating system comes with a built in feature to deal busted hardware keys. So if your iPhone's Home button has stopped responding, go to Settings, click on General, and then tap Accessibility. There you'll find an option to enable Assistive Touch.
Upon activation, you'll be greeted with a semi-transparent button. It's a floating button, so you can drag it wherever you please. Along with the soft Home button, Assistive Touch brings in more options for Gestures, Favorites, and Device.
These software tools may temporarily solve your problem. However, remember that malfunctioned keys are a result of a physical damage. Be it a nasty drop or water damage, these things can render your handset useless in the long run. Therefore, we advise you get your phone repaired as soon as possible.
Cover Image Credit: Sanjit Kundu (TechTree.com)
How To: Deal With Your Smartphone’s Broken Keys With The Help Of Apps
Quick solution for your phone’s malfunctioned keys.
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-
- ADCOM Launches “Vision” - LED Headphones for Ultimate Gamers
- LAVA Launches Z71 with Dedicated Google Assistant Key
- Detel launches Amaze – Truly Wireless Bluetooth Speaker in India
- Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ crosses One million users
- Fujifilm India unfold its innovation prowess by showcasing Photo Imaging Product Portfolio at CEIF 2020
- DOLBY RAISES THE BAR FOR IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES AT CES 2020
- Playshifu Announces New Augmented Reality Toys at CES 2020
- CES 2020: Haier Defines the Future of Smart Homes
- CES 2020: Audio-Technica Exhibits Its Truly Wireless Noise-Cancelling In-Ear and Exotic-Wood Audiophile Headphones