11:41 07th Sep, 2015
Canon Develops A 250 Megapixel Sensor, But It’s Not For Your DSLR
Doesn’t mean that you will not see such numbers in the near future.
Canon has developed a massive 250 megapixel sensor that has the world’s highest pixel count, for its size. The sensor is not APS-C sized one and neither is it a full-frame one as well. It fits somewhere in between, but still manages to fit in 19,580 x 12,600 pixels in an all new APS-H size.
The new APS-H size (approx. 29.2 x 20.2 mm) sensor fits between the APS-C on the lower end and the full-frame ones above. The new sensor, which currently works with a test body (shown below) was not made for the enthusiast, nor the professional, but for specialized surveillance and crime prevention tools (spying). Clearly, you will not be able to obtain one no matter what the cost.
But with all those pixels to show off, is it capable? Well, Canon did mention that the new sensor was able distinguish lettering on the side of an air plane, flying at a distance of approximately 18 km from the shooting location. Impressive stuff indeed!
And there’s more. The sensor is also capable of shooting video at a resolution that was approximately 125X that of Full HD or 30X that of 4K footage.
All of this is possible thanks to the ultra-high signal readout speed of 1.25 billion pixels per second (that’s a billion, just in case you missed it).
While casual users or professionals, will not be able to boast about the above mentioned specs any time soon, it is wise to believe that we will get there, provided the market demands for such performance. The medium format shooters like the Hasselblad H5D-60 are currently at the 60 megapixel mark, with its 6708 x 8956 pixels (40.2 x 53.7mm) sensors.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-