11:41 07th Sep, 2015
Canon Develops A 250 Megapixel Sensor, But It’s Not For Your DSLR | TechTree.com
Canon Develops A 250 Megapixel Sensor, But It’s Not For Your DSLR
Doesn’t mean that you will not see such numbers in the near future.
Canon has developed a massive 250 megapixel sensor that has the world’s highest pixel count, for its size. The sensor is not APS-C sized one and neither is it a full-frame one as well. It fits somewhere in between, but still manages to fit in 19,580 x 12,600 pixels in an all new APS-H size.
The new APS-H size (approx. 29.2 x 20.2 mm) sensor fits between the APS-C on the lower end and the full-frame ones above. The new sensor, which currently works with a test body (shown below) was not made for the enthusiast, nor the professional, but for specialized surveillance and crime prevention tools (spying). Clearly, you will not be able to obtain one no matter what the cost.
But with all those pixels to show off, is it capable? Well, Canon did mention that the new sensor was able distinguish lettering on the side of an air plane, flying at a distance of approximately 18 km from the shooting location. Impressive stuff indeed!
And there’s more. The sensor is also capable of shooting video at a resolution that was approximately 125X that of Full HD or 30X that of 4K footage.
All of this is possible thanks to the ultra-high signal readout speed of 1.25 billion pixels per second (that’s a billion, just in case you missed it).
While casual users or professionals, will not be able to boast about the above mentioned specs any time soon, it is wise to believe that we will get there, provided the market demands for such performance. The medium format shooters like the Hasselblad H5D-60 are currently at the 60 megapixel mark, with its 6708 x 8956 pixels (40.2 x 53.7mm) sensors.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance