Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
21:28 29th Jul, 2015
Motorola May Jump Onto The 'Make In India' Bandwagon
May start manufacturing Moto smartphones in Chennai.
Soon after acquiring Motorola Mobility in 2012, Google shut its manufacturing facility in Chennai. The workers were let go, and the unit has been lying unused since then. Thanks to the recent success of its budget line-up though, the brand has been doing well in India. Good market response and Indian governments' Make In India initiative have made Motorola consider the feasibility of starting its Chennai facility again.
Motorola is currently owned by the Chinese electronic-giant Lenovo. When asked for a comment, Motorola's Senior Marketing Director Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific Marcus Frost told PTI that the company is evaluating the option. He assured that the news should be out soon.
Motorola currently has manufacturing plants in China and Brazil. So if the plan gets a green light, India will be the third country to produce Moto smartphones. Optimistic fans are hoping that a domestic plan can make the Moto-maker service a reality in India.
On a related note, Motorola has recently unveiled a water-resistant Moto G (3rd gen). It has also announced two handsets in its X series: Moto X Play and Moto Style.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance