10:16 04th Oct, 2011
Facebook Faces Privacy Suit
Group accuses FB of breaching privacy laws by tracking its users.
Social networking giant Facebook has been named by a privacy group in a class-action lawsuit of secretly tracking the internet activity of its users even after they log out of the service. The lawsuit was files in a San Jose, California federal court, and FB has admitted to the guilt.
The complaint stated that cookie files installed on the users' computers to identify them and track their interactions with FB apps and websites while they are logged in continue to work as before even after the users log out. Interestingly, FB has admitted on September 26, that this is indeed true.
"This admission came only after an Australian technology blogger exposed Facebook's practice of monitoring members who have logged out, although he brought the problems to the defendant's attention a year ago", states the complaint. The complaint also asks the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to examine whether FB's new Timeline and Ticker features increase privacy risks of users by combining biographical information and making it easily accessible. FB spokesman Andrew Noyes has stated, "We believe this complaint is without merit and we will fight it vigorously".
We do think that FB is guilty of keeping tabs on users' surfing habits even after they log out. However, we don't feel the same about its new Timeline and Ticker features because they only show information which has already been made publicly available by users and is only visible to friends. The complainants seem to be going a little paranoid about the last accusation. Do let us know what your opinion is in the comments section below.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance