12:05 09th Jun, 2015
Apple Replaces Newsstand With Latest News App
The latest News app resembles Flipboard and displays sample content from news publishers.
Apple is all set to kill its existing Newsstand app, according to its recent announcement at the WWDC 2015.
But, to keep its users updated with latest news and happenings, Apple plans to announce a new app that will show consumers content from news publishers including ESPN, The New York Times, Conde Nast and Hearst.
Apart from these, Apple has also announced several dozen publications as initial partners with the latest news app.
However, it is worth noting that the Newsstand app pulls only sample content from the news publishers. Users shall have to subscribe to access detailed content.
Interestingly, Apple will be giving away 100 per cent of the advertising it sells to its publishers while the company takes a 30 per cent portion of the revenue from Subscriptions sold through publisher's own apps.
Dubbed as 'News', the Newsstand replacement app is said to be rolled out first to users in US, UK and Australia.
However, the application resembles Flipboard, a long-running iOS app desgined for a similar purpose; Taking a combination of existing content and sites selected by a user and combining it with algorithmic discovery of other articles of interest, while repackaging everything into a flowable format that works on a variety of devices.
The News app offers an experience in full screen, while photos and videos are built directly into the articles and can play inline. Also, at the WWDC, Apple showcased the number of animations which can be used by publishers to display their content in the News app, as well as swipes to navigate between articles.
The News app tracks closely initiatives at other digital giants to bring in professional reporting and timeliness, such as Facebook’s recently launched Instant Articles.
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband
- Skullcandy Launches Noise Reduction Earbuds at RS. 7999
- Zebronics launches TWS earphone “Zeb-Sound Bomb”
- HiFuture launches the longest battery true wireless earbuds in India
- Digisol Launches Smart Switch for Smart Cities
- Airtel announces Revised Tariffs for Mobile customers
- Portronics launches iLUMI, an LED lamp with inbuilt Bluetooth Speaker
- Toreto launches its Remix Series of “USB Wall Charger” with Built-in Bluetooth Speaker
- Launching FINGERS LivMusic Wireless Neckband - Live, Breathe and Absorb Music Non-Stop!
- Techno Launches New Smartphone at Rs.8499