15:34 26th May, 2015
WhatsApp Helps Fight Crime In Ahmedabad
Police turns to citizen reporters to find stolen vehicles.
The world’s favourite messenger, WhatsApp has finally been put to some good use in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The local Police seems to have put the application to good use, by giving out a number where citizens can report abandoned vehicles.
Abandoned vehicles which lie on the roadside that seemed to have appeared from nowhere could actually be stolen vehicles or those related to a crime.
Citizens can report a vehicle that they have discovered to be lying on the street corner for days, by sending a message with its address and image to the police on 9924511023.
Stolen vehicles could not necessarily be from the same state, as vehicles stolen in one state are often taken to the neighbouring one or even further to avoid being under the radar.
According to the police, one can avoid the lengthy procedure of reporting the same at the local police station. This not only makes it convenient to get the vehicles reported, but also helps the police find stolen vehicles, or crimes related to those vehicles, faster. This in turn solves cases quickly and can even save a life if the trail is still hot.
And things move at a pretty quick pace from there on as the police have their own software and mobile applications in place to begin the trace while on the move.
"We have Eklavya software which connects us to the RTO database with a mobile phone application developed by city crime branch. The check will give us the owner's name, address and other details to verify whether the vehicle is abandoned or stolen. If the vehicle is found to be from another area, police stations will be asked if it was reported missing or stolen," said an official.
Bipin Ahire, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone I, launched a WhatsApp number (9924511023) on Monday and citizens of Ahmedabad can now begin reporting suspicious two-wheelers and four wheelers to the police.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones