12:55 10th Apr, 2015
Snapseed For Android And iOS Gets A Big Update
After building so many apps ,Google could learn a thing or two about app UI design.
Popular photo editing app Snapseed has finally got its Material Design overhaul. Sadly, that overhaul seeps onto the iOS app as well. Still then, the app built by Google seems to tick all the check boxes when it comes to Google’s new design language and also improves its existing feature set.
Snapseed was no slouch and now it seems that the new update has only made things smoother and faster.
The incorporation of Material Design has made the layout extremely simple to use, similar to most native Google apps on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
There is a new histogram at the bottom left of the screen and you get access to the tools thanks to the new floating button.
As for the tools they see improvements as well. Apart from the regular gestures that users have grown used to, we also see the introduction of non-destructive editing with stacks.
Additionally Google has also delivered new features like lens blur, tonal contrast and a glamour glow filter as well.
Menus you have to discover.
Still then we would have appreciated if Google had stuck to the norm and built separate apps for different operating systems, instead of building for Android and then porting it onto iOS. Hidden menus that we first saw in the Google Photos app on Android are not something iOS users are used to.
Microsoft had a similar approach earlier and used to force the Metro UI onto Android and iOS until they got it right with Outlook (and as we all know, it beats Gmail on iOS).
Hopefully, Google figures this out soon as the odd buttons and the layout somehow don’t seem to stick across multiple operating systems. Post that, we should see the “?” help icon disappear from the app as a good mobile app UX usually doesn't need one.
As of writing this article, the update has not reached the Google Play Store for Android devices yet. But as confirmed by Android Police, the Android app looks exactly the same.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance