12:55 10th Apr, 2015
Snapseed For Android And iOS Gets A Big Update
After building so many apps ,Google could learn a thing or two about app UI design.
Popular photo editing app Snapseed has finally got its Material Design overhaul. Sadly, that overhaul seeps onto the iOS app as well. Still then, the app built by Google seems to tick all the check boxes when it comes to Google’s new design language and also improves its existing feature set.
Snapseed was no slouch and now it seems that the new update has only made things smoother and faster.
The incorporation of Material Design has made the layout extremely simple to use, similar to most native Google apps on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
There is a new histogram at the bottom left of the screen and you get access to the tools thanks to the new floating button.
As for the tools they see improvements as well. Apart from the regular gestures that users have grown used to, we also see the introduction of non-destructive editing with stacks.
Additionally Google has also delivered new features like lens blur, tonal contrast and a glamour glow filter as well.
Menus you have to discover.
Still then we would have appreciated if Google had stuck to the norm and built separate apps for different operating systems, instead of building for Android and then porting it onto iOS. Hidden menus that we first saw in the Google Photos app on Android are not something iOS users are used to.
Microsoft had a similar approach earlier and used to force the Metro UI onto Android and iOS until they got it right with Outlook (and as we all know, it beats Gmail on iOS).
Hopefully, Google figures this out soon as the odd buttons and the layout somehow don’t seem to stick across multiple operating systems. Post that, we should see the “?” help icon disappear from the app as a good mobile app UX usually doesn't need one.
As of writing this article, the update has not reached the Google Play Store for Android devices yet. But as confirmed by Android Police, the Android app looks exactly the same.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones