12:42 30th Mar, 2015
Facebook Tests Solar Powered Drone To Support Internet.Org
The drone dubbed Aquila is one aspect of Facebook's Internet.org plan to extend Web access
Looks like Facebook has taken Internet.org seriously and is working hard to make it a successful initiative.
Soon after Google announced about its tie up with several service providers for its Project Loon, which utilises high-altitude balloons to beam Internet down to devices on the ground, Facebook too has announced about its new solar powered drones providing the same facility.
With an aim of connecting with people in remote areas who have access to either poor or no Internet, the initiative was started around 3 years ago.
To remind you, India too is among other countries where the initiative is providing free basic Internet access to 6 states in collaboration with Reliance.
To support this initiative more and to take it further, Facebook recently tested a solar powered drone which it calls as 'Aquila'.
It is also learnt that Aquila has completed its first test flight successfully in UK.
Aquila is powered by solar panels on its wings and will be able to stay at altitudes of more than 60,000 for months at a time.
The aircraft is designed such that its wingspan is greater than a Boeing 737, but the drone weighs less than a car.
It is believed that the aircraft would beam Internet access down to people from the sky.
However, we believe that it is possible only in the distant future that these drones would be beaming Internet throughout the globe as safety measures, communication and batteries have to be tested and also Facebook should form partnerships with carriers everywhere.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones