12:42 30th Mar, 2015
Facebook Tests Solar Powered Drone To Support Internet.Org | TechTree.com
Facebook Tests Solar Powered Drone To Support Internet.Org
The drone dubbed Aquila is one aspect of Facebook's Internet.org plan to extend Web access
Looks like Facebook has taken Internet.org seriously and is working hard to make it a successful initiative.
Soon after Google announced about its tie up with several service providers for its Project Loon, which utilises high-altitude balloons to beam Internet down to devices on the ground, Facebook too has announced about its new solar powered drones providing the same facility.
With an aim of connecting with people in remote areas who have access to either poor or no Internet, the initiative was started around 3 years ago.
To remind you, India too is among other countries where the initiative is providing free basic Internet access to 6 states in collaboration with Reliance.
To support this initiative more and to take it further, Facebook recently tested a solar powered drone which it calls as 'Aquila'.
It is also learnt that Aquila has completed its first test flight successfully in UK.
Aquila is powered by solar panels on its wings and will be able to stay at altitudes of more than 60,000 for months at a time.
The aircraft is designed such that its wingspan is greater than a Boeing 737, but the drone weighs less than a car.
It is believed that the aircraft would beam Internet access down to people from the sky.
However, we believe that it is possible only in the distant future that these drones would be beaming Internet throughout the globe as safety measures, communication and batteries have to be tested and also Facebook should form partnerships with carriers everywhere.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals