13:11 31st Dec, 2014
Nexus Owners Complain About Lollipop Memory Leak; A Fix Is Coming
Strangely the bug is not widespread.
Owners of Google's Nexus devices have begun venting out on forums and even on the official Google Android Issue Tracker, about a memory leak issue. The bug apparently comes with the latest Android Lollipop 5.0.1 update and creates memory issues on the some Google devices like the Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 (2013).
Owners have been complaining about the RAM usage on their smartphones reaching unreasonable levels, affecting the day-to-day usability of their devices. RAM usage on affected devices seems to have spiked up to 1.2 GB leading to issues such as the launcher restarting and the keyboard being unstable while typing. Moreover apps also have reported to be crashing, which is obvious since this is an issue related to RAM.
While the issue is not widespread, (which is a bit strange) it seems to have only affected a select batch of devices. We have a Nexus 5 smartphone in our office but it seems to working just fine and currently does not report issues as can be seen from the screenshots from owners on the Tracker.
Good news is that a fix has been found. The bad news is that it will have to be packaged into the next firmware update (5.0.3 we suppose), which will take time to implement. As with software and more importantly newer and overhauled versions of firmwares, such issues are common. the same happened iOS 8 and Android is by no means perfect. Hopefully Google releases a software update for affected devices soon as a device reboot seems to be the only temporary solution for now.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance