13:40 29th Dec, 2014
Airtel’s VoIP Packs Put On Hold At The Last Minute | TechTree.com
Airtel’s VoIP Packs Put On Hold At The Last Minute
The company seems to be holding back on the packs as TRAI seems to be in two minds.
While the year comes to an end, clearly the madness has not. This is more so with the whole controversy regarding Airtel charging its customers for calls made via its data connections (VoIP). While Skype just made calls to the US and Canada free, Airtel users seem to be fuming as of now, but all of that may soon change.
The official note comes from Airtel and clearly states that the Telecom Regulation Authority of India (TRAI) has yet to make up its mind. Airtel was about to launch its new VOIP packs made specially for customers who love to make voice calls over the internet with services like Skype and Viber. But with the new updates things may change for the good. The official note from Airtel is as follows:
“In view of the news reports that a consultation paper will be issued shortly by TRAI on issues relating to services offered by OTT players including VOIP, we have decided not to implement our proposed launch of VoIP packs.
We have no doubt that as a result of the consultation process a balanced outcome would emerge that would not only protect the interests of all stakeholders and viability of this important sector but would also encourage much needed investments in spectrum and roll out of data networks to fulfil the objective of digital India.”
It was just recently that TRAI had almost made up its mind to charge OTT (over the top) players like WhatsApp and other messaging services to operate in India. Well after that did not pass through, the new issue seems highly unlikely as well.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals