10:06 29th Dec, 2014
Uber Lays Out Plan For Beefier Safety Measures In India
The precautions were announced ahead of a hearing that will determine the fate of mobile transportation services in Delhi
Taxi-hailing company Uber has introduced additional safety measures in India, following the rape of a female passenger by a company driver in New Delhi. The precautions were announced ahead of a hearing on Monday to determine whether Uber and other similar services should be allowed to operate in the Indian capital.
Following the incident, there was a huge cry over Uber not doing enough to ensure passenger safety, which led to the ban of all mobile transportation services in New Delhi. The company has now proposed a re-review of all its drivers to ensure that they have an “authentic and valid police verification” to prevent fraud.
Uber says it will hire local “safety exerts” to develop a more effective screening method for drivers, and is also rolling out an incident response team to resolve critical issues. The company is also adding a ShareMyETA button within its mobile app, which will roll-out first in India, to allow passengers share trip details with friends.
It is yet to be seen if the Delhi Transportation Department will lift the ban on Uber following the implementation of the proposed safety measures. With India being touted as one of the company's key growth markets in Asia, the company is doing all it can to rescue its reputation and win the hearts of people once again.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance