09:35 16th Dec, 2014
Motorola Plans To Bring Affordable 4G Smartphones To India In 2015
The move will help the company achieve its goal of becoming India's third largest smartphone vendor by next year
Motorola Mobility plans to bring affordable 4G smartphones to the Indian and Brazilian markets in 2015, calling it a critical move in order to become the market leader. The company is aiming to become India's third largest smartphone vendor next year, up from its current fourth spot, on the back of strong demand.
"The transition to 4G (in India) will come quickly," said Rick Osterloh, President and CEO of Motorola Mobility, in an interview with the Economic Times. "Next year, we are going to be very aggressive in the 4G value proposition for end user."
The completion of Motorola's acquisition by Lenovo has made the Chinese PC giant the third largest global smartphone vendor. However, for now the two companies will operate independently, with India being the only market where both Lenovo and Motorola have existing devices businesses.
"India is absolutely essential. India and Brazil are countries that we think first when we think about our business because that's the future," added Osterloh. Currently support for 4G bands on smartphones in India is mostly restricted to high-end devices, but industry watchers believe 4G on sub-$100 devices is soon coming.
In India, Motorola expects sales to cross the 3 million units mark by the end of January 2015 - a herculean task for an ailing company that marked its re-entry into the market in February this year. Osterloh added that the company's exclusive partnership with e-retailer Flipkart has been extremely fruitful, and will continue.
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch