09:59 25th Nov, 2014
Xiaomi Smartphones Could Soon Be Manufactured In India | TechTree.com
Xiaomi Smartphones Could Soon Be Manufactured In India
The company is scouring for local partners to assemble its devices in the country
Chinese smartphone giant Xiaomi is scouting for local partners to manufacture its devices in India, as it gears up to expand its operations in the country. The move comes at a time when PM Narendra Modi is inviting electronics manufacturers to set up shop in the country, under the heavily publicized 'Make in India' campaign.
"We are beginning to explore opportunities for manufacturing in India," said Manu Jain, operations head for Xiaomi India. "India is a big market and we would like to be close to our customers."
The announcement comes at a time when India is on-route to becoming Xiaomi's second largest global market, with the company claiming to have sold 8 lakh devices in the country since July this year. While the components will continue to be sourced from various overseas vendors, Xiaomi devices could soon be assembled in India.
Even in its home market of China, the company has tied up with manufacturer Foxconn to assemble its devices, which are then shipped to India and other markets. "We are looking at manufacturing from the perspective of cost benefits and taxes," added Jain.
While Xiaomi will continue to design the hardware and software aspects of its devices, manufacturing will largely be outsourced. However, Jain admitted that while the company has started thinking on the lines of local manufacturing, but hasn't planned any investments in the direction just yet.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals