12:50 05th Nov, 2014
Oculus CEO Says A Consumer Versions Of Its Rift Headset Is 'Months' Away
While that's still a very vague timeline, Oculus just piled a whole lot more pressure on rival Sony
Virtual Reality will soon become a reality for everyone, and heading that cause is Oculus VR, the company social networking giant Facebook recently snatched up. It's no wonder then that Brendan Iribe's (CEO of Oculus VR) statement of a consumer version of the Rift headset being “months, not years away” has kicked up such a storm.
Oculus has been working on its VR headset for years now, and the device has gone through several iterations including two developer editions. There's been a lot of anticipation and speculation in the market, but Iribe's statement is the first time someone has come close to putting a timeline on how soon we could see these devices on the market.
However, he did go on to clarify that it would be 'many months' before a full fledged consumer launch, indicating that the wait is not fully over. The biggest cause of delay at the moment is the lack of a suitable input device, as gamepads, keyboards and mice aren't right for a truly immersive experience.
The company's efforts to nail the controller have been boosted, but its recent acquisition of Carbon Design, who're engaging in building a VR-specific solution. Apart from this, Iribe also cautioned rivals not to rush into the market without extensively testing the device, as motion sickness and disorientation are two real problems wearers could face.
While he didn't mention it, that was clearly targeted at Sony, who have shown significant progress when it comes to cooking up their own VR headset. Overall, we still don't know when exactly we'll have a consumer version of the Rift out on the market, but it wouldn't be wrong to expect to see something from Oculus in late 2015 to early 2016.
- Philips 3.1 and 2.1 Channel Soundbars with Wireless Subwoofer launched
- Sony India launches a digital voice recorder ICD-UX570F
- Amazon Launches Fire TV Edition Smart TVs in India with Onida
- Supercharge Radeon Gameplay with AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition
- BOSE AR EXPERIENCES NOW AVAILABLE IN THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS APP
- Nokia 7.1 joins Nokia 9 PureView and Nokia 8.1 on Android 10
- HiFuture unveils Olymbuds, the Most Comfortable True Wireless Earbuds in India today at just Rs. 3,999/-
- Sennheiser Launches Momentum Headphones for Rs.34,990
- Launching FINGERS Chic Dual.D Wireless Neckband earphone
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband