11:04 03rd Nov, 2014
Over A Tenth Of WhatsApp's 600 Million Users Are In India
The service for which Facebook payed $22 billion now has 70 million active users in India
WhatsApp has grown to become one of the most widely used messaging services in the world, and nowhere is its success more pronounced than in India. Now owned by social network giant Facebook, WhatsApp has announced that its user base in India has crossed the 70 million active monthly users mark.
With a global user base of 600 million, over a tenth of WhatsApp users are now present in India, making it one of the biggest markets for the app. “We have 70 million active users here who use the application at least once a month,” said Neeraj Arora, vice-president of WhatsApp.
By focusing on markets like India and Brazil, WhatsApp is hoping to breach the 1 billion active users mark soon, and even owner Facebook feels the same way. A recent report revealed that the app generates small revenues and profits are non-existent, bu that isn't putting investors off at this point of time.
Facebook ended up paying something like $22 billion for the acquisition of WhatsApp, with a big chunk of the money going towards the apps fast expanding user base. In just three years, WhatsApp has grown from 30 million active monthly users to the present 600 million monthly active users.
According to Arora, what made WhatsApp so special and expensive was the “the founders wanted to develop a cool product which will be used by millions and did not have business things like valuations.” Even now there isn't a clear picture of how Facebook plans to monetize the app, but for now it seems like ads have been ruled out.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance