Alnoor M Peermohamed
10:28 15th Oct, 2014
OnePlus In Talks With Microsoft To Build A Windows Phone Device
It's still only a possibility, but should still excite many Microsoft and Windows fans
Microsoft has signed up a truckload of Windows Phone hardware partners in the past, ranging from India's Micromax to Korean behemoth Samsung. While none of that really surprised us, news of a possible tie up between Microsoft and Android manufacturer OnePlus did feel like getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer.
In the past year, OnePlus has created tidal waves in the smartphone industry with its philosophy of offering a device with high-end specs at an affordable price. The possibility of something similar happening - this time with Windows - is indeed exciting and could provide Microsoft's smartphone operations a shot in the arm.
The news of OnePlus being in talks with Microsoft to build a Windows handset appeared as a passing comment in an Economic Times report. "We have had discussions with Microsoft over a Windows Phone smartphone. We are still looking into it," said Carl Pie, global director of OnePlus.
An odd marriage
The much publicized tagline for the OnePlus One smartphone reads “Never Settle” and is in keeping with the amount of freedom users of the device have. A smaller price tag means users can buy a flagship device off-contract, and the same idea extends to the software - infinitely customizable CyanogenMod flavor of Android.
Windows Phone OS doesn't really fit into that definition of 'freedom' as it's pretty much locked down to whatever Microsoft wants it to be. While a Windows smartphone with high-end specifications but a small price tag may be successful, some of the charm that the OnePlus One offers could be lost in transition.
However, it doesn't look like the company has made up its mind about bringing out a Windows Phone just yet. At this point, Pie's statement only goes to tell us that a tie-up with Microsoft is a real possibility, but expecting a Windows Phone from OnePlus anytime soon is a longshot.
- Philips 3.1 and 2.1 Channel Soundbars with Wireless Subwoofer launched
- Sony India launches a digital voice recorder ICD-UX570F
- Amazon Launches Fire TV Edition Smart TVs in India with Onida
- Supercharge Radeon Gameplay with AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition
- BOSE AR EXPERIENCES NOW AVAILABLE IN THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS APP
- Nokia 7.1 joins Nokia 9 PureView and Nokia 8.1 on Android 10
- HiFuture unveils Olymbuds, the Most Comfortable True Wireless Earbuds in India today at just Rs. 3,999/-
- Sennheiser Launches Momentum Headphones for Rs.34,990
- Launching FINGERS Chic Dual.D Wireless Neckband earphone
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband