12:32 13th Oct, 2014
Carl Zeiss Showcases Its $99 Virtual Reality Headset
Like Samsung's Gear VR, the device will be powered by the user's smartphone, but isn't locked to any one device
Virtual reality has been positioned as the “next-big-thing” in the tech world, and while this revolution hasn't kicked off just yet, consumers could soon be spoiled for choice. Carl Zeiss is the latest entrant into the emerging segment - after Oculus, Google and Samsung - and has shown off its VR One, a $99 headset for smartphone users.
The concept of the VR One is very similar to that of Samsung's Gear VR – a phone powering a virtual reality headset, utilizing the screen, processing power and plethora of its sensors. Unlike the Gear VR however, Carl Zeiss' device will support devices from multiple manufacturers, working with any smartphone between 4.7-inch and 5.2-inch.
Users can already pre-order the VR One of Carl Zeiss' official website, however, in order to make any phone work with the device, buyers will have to shell out an additional $9.90 for drawers specific to their phone. The company has said that the first consignment of the device will begin shipping in Christmas this year, and will fully go on sale only next year.
A huge part of a VR headset's quality is its optics, so with Carl Zeiss handling that bit of it, the VR One is sure to produce some great 3D visuals. The other part will be dependent on the quality of the smartphone screen, and as Oculus has shown us with the Rift 2, a 720 display is adequate to provide an awesome immersive experience.
Carl Zeiss is also taking suggestions from prospective buyers for what phones should be supported by its VR One. There won't be any change to the main hardware of the headset when using different phones, just the drawer that holds the smartphone in place will differ.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones