12:08 08th Oct, 2014
HTC Holds Back From Unveiling Its Wearables Until Next Year
The company isn't shelving its wearable plans, but says it's going to wait till it gets it right
HTC is holding a press event later today, but has confirmed that a smartwatch of any sort isn't going to be unveiled just yet. Speaking to Re/Code, the Taiwanese firm said that a wearable launch was due for right about now, but the company is holding back from launching the device this year.
“We had originally planned to have a wearable launch in this time frame,” said Jason Mackenzie, head of HTC America. “It ended up just not being ready.”
Further, Drew Bamford, who heads HTC's Creative Labs said that the current crop of wearables on the market don't do much to earn their space on wrists. “We honestly don’t think anyone has gotten it right,” he added. HTC believes its development strategy will help it change that, but getting it right will require some more time.
Considering the limiting features of current wearables in terms of battery life and the fact that they are merely devices that deliver notifications to your wrist, HTC's move is more than justifiable. However, not having a product on the market means the company is losing valuable up-time, and could fall behind its rivals.
The company says its product will come to the market only when it figures a stronger use case, compelling users to strap the device onto their wrists. There are a plethora of wearables currently on the market, and while some are great, we can't help by side with HTC when they say there isn't a good enough reason to wear one everyday.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones