10:41 19th Nov, 2014
Cyanogen Refuses Google Acquisition Bid; May Give Micromax A Nod | TechTree.com
Cyanogen Refuses Google Acquisition Bid; May Give Micromax A Nod
The company clearly wants to stay clear of anything that will make their ‘open’ OS less open.
Cyanogen has apparently refused to be bought over by Google. As reported by The Information, Google’s SVP, Sundar Pichai had a great deal of interest in the company and had even offered a bid to buy it. Sadly though, in what would be a dream for most start-ups, Cyanogen refused as this would in a way harm the open nature of its OS.
Cyanogen instead has focussed its attention on 1 billion USD funding that it plans to get elsewhere for the mobile space. Why wouldn’t it? CyanogenMod is after all the third most popular mobile operating system out there, running on thousands of handsets, made by other manufacturers.
Cyanogen, will now get funded by Micromax, one of India’s biggest selling local smartphone manufacturers.
If this deal does go through, we can expect Micromax handsets to run Cyanogen’s smooth ROMs bringing good news to the millions of Micromax users in India. CyanogenMod is a custom ROM builder that currently builds 4 different versions of custom ROMs (CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1), 10.1 (Android 4.2), 10.2 (Android 4.3) and 11 (Android 4.4) for a large number of Android devices.
TAGS: Mobile Phones, Software, Cyanogen, CyanogenMod
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals