11:31 17th Sep, 2014
Google's High-End Android Silver Initiative Has Hit A Roadblock | TechTree.com
Google's High-End Android Silver Initiative Has Hit A Roadblock
If true, any claims of Google ditching the Nexus line of devices in favor of Android Silver can be put to rest... For now
Google has been vying to service every segment in the smartphone market, and with the launch of Android One made its way into the ultra affordable mobile game. At the opposite end of the spectrum however, it seems that things stalled - the Android Silver program according to The Information has been put on hold.
The Android Silver initiative would have seen Google tying up with multiple device manufacturers to craft more exquisite handsets in order to take on the iPhone. While several manufacturers like LG, Samsung, HTC and Motorola do have high-end Android devices, direct competition from Google was lacking.
According to the report, the delay comes mainly due to the departure of Nikesh Arora, the former Senior Vice President and Chief Business Officer at Google, in July. It adds that Arora was one of the 'chief architects' of the Android Silver program, and that Google was struggling to gain enough interest from device manufacturers.
If the latter of the reasons for the delay is true, it could put the entire program in jeopardy even before it takes off. Since Google will only support manufacturers in terms of updates and retail efforts (just as it does with its Nexus line of devices), the need for the software giant to forge bonds with manufacturers is crucial.
While there have been several rumors suggesting that Google would drop the Nexus line of devices, it seems highly unlikely for that to happen, at least in the near future. In all probability Google will continue to serve up Nexus devices, sticking to the same mantra of providing high-end specs at affordable price tags.
It seems like we're going to have to wait a little longer to get exquisitely built Android smartphones directly from Google, but in the meantime, why not check out the HTC One (M8) or Motorola's second-gen Moto X?
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance