23:42 05th Jan, 2012
Samsung Pips Apple In India For Tablet Sales
Samsung has bitten off a major chunk of the 1.58 lakh tablets sold in India.
Tablet penetration in the Indian metros has increased noticeably. The regularity with which one can spot these portable devices being whipped out at swanky coffee shops and first class train compartments alike is the best sign of this growing phenomenon. This is reaffirmed by a recent study on the Indian tablet scenario by CyberMedia Research.
According to CyberMedia's figures, 1.58 lakh tablets have been sold in the Indian market between October and June 2011. Olivepad was one of the first to herald tablet computing in India, which was followed by the first international player Samsung Galaxy Tab in October the same year. As expected, the iPad was quite late to crash the party in 2011, but tasted success in the Indian market nonetheless. However, it is Samsung that has pipped Apple to emerge as the best-selling tablet brand in India, all thanks to a well-timed price drop.
According to the research firm, the tablet range available in India has swollen to 27 models from 10 manufacturers as of today. The Samsung Galaxy Tab, Motorola XOOM, Apple iPad 2, and BlackBerry PlayBook are some of the well-known tablets on sale in the high-end range. The current tablet spectrum ranges from Rs 8000 to 47,000, but CyberMedia Research expects a major influx of tablets priced in the Rs 7000 to 15,000 segment.
Interestingly, Indians favour 7" tablets, while their OS of choice is Android 2.2 (Froyo). Moreover, the ratio between 3G and Wi-Fi devices is 70:30, with users clearly preferring the mobility of 3G despite the high tariffs. It seems Indian's aren't cheap after all - at least the tablet-savvy ones amongst us.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance