Alnoor M Peermohamed
12:32 31st Jul, 2014
Patents Show Even Samsung Is Interested In Round Smartwatches
The Moto 360 might soon have competition, if Samsung decides to turn these design concepts into real products
A lot of us have been holding out from buying an Android Wear smartwatch, primarily due to the fact that Motorola will soon launch its beautiful Moto 360. A huge part of its charm is its round watchface, which makes it wonderful in a world of plasticky and square devices. However, it seems that we could soon be spoilt for choice, with Samsung too having a few rounded dreams.
The Korean giant has filed a trio of US design patents for smartwatches that are more rounded than the current Galaxy Gear and Gear Live devices, some even with circular dials. All three devices feature a camera module in the band, and a certain example even has the charging pins located in the clasp rather than on its body.
The smartwatch designs vary in their roundness, and while it does show that Samsung is very interested in circular wristwear, it doesn't say much more. The patents were filed in March last year, well before Samsung realised its square-screened Galaxy Gear wouldn't have too many takers.
It isn't known if the company will ever turn these design concepts into real products, but they do certainly have the capability to improve the company's smartwatch fortune. With Samsung and Google at loggerheads over the future of Tizen OS, it should be quite interesting to see what the Korean behemoth does next.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance