16:17 21st Jul, 2014
Google Sold Over 1 Million Chromebooks To Schools In The Last Quarter
Rock bottom pricing along with an improving ecosystem of apps has made the Chromebook a hit among educators.
At its most recent earnings call, tech giant Google announced that it (along with its partners) had managed to sell one-million Chromebooks to schools in the last quarter. Given that global PC sales stood at 76 million units during the same period (according to Gartner), it seems that Google may have just hit the jackpot.
Google's Chrome OS has been widely criticised for lacking features, with analysts being skeptical if users would buy a PC just to run a browser. To some extent those claims have been true and Chromebooks didn't really catch on immediately.
Over time however, Chromebooks have been getting a lot more useful with several new apps and Google services making the devices more relevant. The device obviously will not meet the demands of users requiring softwares like Photoshop, but Google isn't targeting them anyway.
In the US and other developed markets, the iPad has long been the favourite device for educators and students still prefer them over Chromebooks. However, there has been one major problem with the iPad – it is far more expensive than the $200 Chromebook.
Microsoft is also weary of how important the low-end laptop segment is and recently announced that it is working with manufacturers to roll out devices in the $200 price bracket. If the company can deliver on the experience, the Chromebook could once again be doomed, given the far more frugal nature of Windows OS.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones