11:00 03rd Jul, 2014
Samsung To Exit Plasma TV Business By This Year End | TechTree.com
Samsung To Exit Plasma TV Business By This Year End
With Samsung exiting the business, LG will be the only major manufacturer of Plasma displays.
Korean electronics major Samsung has announced that it will stop the production of plasma display panels (PDP) by this year, crediting the move to low demand and decreasing profits. The real culprit however could be the company's increased focus on 4K televisions, and its inability to manufacture higher-resolution plasma panels.
Samsung's move to abandon plasma display technology resonates with a similar step taken by Panasonic, which cited similar reasons for shutting PDP production. The Korean company said it will shut down all its PDP manufacturing facilities by November 30, but did not mention how long it will keep the devices out in the market.
The company added that its plasma panel production resources will either be sold off or diverted to support Samsung's battery and material businesses. While Samsung exits the business, it will leave LG as the sole major manufacturer of plasma displays in the world.
That too could soon change, with industry watchers citing a recent conversion of one of LG's PDP manufacturing lines to make solar batteries. It seems as though the Plasma era is coming to an end, with the future of televisions leaning towards UHD and curved displays.
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals
- Europe may require all phone manufacturers to use USB-C charging
- Amazon Announces Prime Video Channels – A Video Entertainment Marketplace in India