11:00 03rd Jul, 2014
Samsung To Exit Plasma TV Business By This Year End
With Samsung exiting the business, LG will be the only major manufacturer of Plasma displays.
Korean electronics major Samsung has announced that it will stop the production of plasma display panels (PDP) by this year, crediting the move to low demand and decreasing profits. The real culprit however could be the company's increased focus on 4K televisions, and its inability to manufacture higher-resolution plasma panels.
Samsung's move to abandon plasma display technology resonates with a similar step taken by Panasonic, which cited similar reasons for shutting PDP production. The Korean company said it will shut down all its PDP manufacturing facilities by November 30, but did not mention how long it will keep the devices out in the market.
The company added that its plasma panel production resources will either be sold off or diverted to support Samsung's battery and material businesses. While Samsung exits the business, it will leave LG as the sole major manufacturer of plasma displays in the world.
That too could soon change, with industry watchers citing a recent conversion of one of LG's PDP manufacturing lines to make solar batteries. It seems as though the Plasma era is coming to an end, with the future of televisions leaning towards UHD and curved displays.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance