15:33 01st Jul, 2014
India's Internet Speeds Are The Slowest Among Asian Countries | TechTree.com
India's Internet Speeds Are The Slowest Among Asian Countries
Clocking in a 1.7 Mbps, the average Internet speed in India is 14 times slower than that of South Korea's.
India's Internet speeds are among the slowest in Asia, clocking in at a lethargic 1.7 Megabits per second, according to Akamai's latest quarterly “State of the Internet” report. Among the 14 South-East Asian countries in the report, India stood last, with an average Internet speed 14 times slower than that of South Korea's.
The global average internet speed currently stands at 3.9 Mbps and according to the report should hit and hopefully exceed the 4 Mbps mark in the second quarter of the current financial year. India in comparison has a long way to go in catching up with the global average, let alone surpass it.
Even China far outpaces India with Internet speeds clocking in at 3.2 Mbps. Moreover, it doesn't seem likely that India will catch up with its neighbors anytime soon as the country's average speed has increased by just 8 percent from a year ago, while most other countries in Asia saw speeds jumping by nearly 20%.
All hope isn't lost though, as the Indian government's is currently working on framing a National Broadband Policy. If the legislation does get passed, high-speed Internet will be treated as a basic necessity similar to healthcare and education.
The National Telecom Policy 2012 has set a target of 175 million broadband connections by 2017, and 600 million 2020 at minimum 2 Mbps download speed and making available higher speeds of at least 100 Mbps on demand.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals