14:17 26th Jun, 2014
Google Claims It Now Has One Billion Active Android Users Per Month
No, that isn't the number of Android devices, its the actual number of people using Android devices.
Internet search giant Google has revealed that it has hit the 1-billion active monthly users mark for its Android platform. The figures were given out by the company's Android and Chrome chief, Sundar Pichai, at the Google I/O conference held in San Francisco.
At last year's I/O the company claimed it had 900-million active Android devices in a 30-day period, which went on to hit the 1 billion mark last September. Now however, there are 1 billion people across the globe who use an Android device.
Some other interesting tit-bits of information were also given out by Google - 93 million selfies are taken each day with an Android device, 20 billion text messages are sent on any given day and the devices are checked over 100 billion times each day, making that one billion users figure pretty accurate.
The other significant change was seen in Google's conquests of the global tablet market. Tablets running on Android now make up 62 per cent of the global tablet market, up from 46 per cent last year.
Android's dominance of the smartphone market and now the tablet market means more people are downloading more apps. Google registered a 236 per cent year-on-year growth in the number of app installs on its Play Store.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance