Alnoor M Peermohamed
12:00 18th Jun, 2014
Amazon Working On Hardwares, Including An Ultra-Thin Kindle
While Amazon's 3D smartphone may be hogging the spotlight, we've got our eyes on the new Kindle.
News of Amazon's upcoming smartphone sent shockwaves among the tech community, but it isn't the only device the company's Lab126 hardware R&D facility is working on.
According to Business Week, Amazon's other hardware efforts include a speech-controlled Bluetooth speaker, a Square-killing credit card reader, a projector for anywhere, and best of all - an ultra-thin Kindle.
Amazon's Lab126 has already outed two devices this year – the Fire TV streaming device and the Amazon Dash grocery scanning device. Both devices however are pretty restricted in terms of their user base, with the Fire TV being for Amazon Prime customers only and the Dash is only useful where Amazon offers AmazonFresh.
Even the company's smartphone runs a high risk of being limited in many ways. Some people who previewed the device said its 3D interface was a gimmick, and if rumours of it being restricted to AT&T circles are true, the risk of failure is even higher.
The other rumoured devices which are in Amazon's pipeline too fail to really strike a chord, except for the ultra-thin Kindle e-reader.
The Kindle is undoubtedly the company's most successful hardware device, though Amazon does not reveal sales figures. The new device codenamed Ice Wine will be lighter, have a 300ppi display, have physical buttons and will be extremely thin. If these rumoured specifications are indeed true, the Kindle could get a lot better.
The prospects of Amazon's Kindle e-ink-readers getting a lot better will probably affect a lot more buyers than its new smartphone. While we don't want to sound dismissive, we're still not sold on Amazon's smartphone, especially since it could be a long time before the device could make its way to India, if it ever does.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens