Alnoor M Peermohamed
11:00 12th Jun, 2014
Rumour: Samsung To Launch The World's First Foldable Tablet In 2015
The tablet will feature an 8 or 9-inch FHD display that will fold twice to form a smartphone-like device.
Korean technology giant Samsung will supposedly launch the world's first foldable tablet in early 2015. The device will feature an 8 or 9-inch FHD OLED display, which could be folded twice to form a smartphone-like device.
According to Digit, the device is ready for production and Samsung is gearing up for its commercial roll-out. Moreover the device is rumoured to be bulky and expensive with a high probability of being launched only in select markets including South Korea, just as with the company did with its Galaxy Round.
The rumoured device will run on Google's Android OS, albeit a customised version in order to work well with the all-new form factor. It is also expected that Samsung will create specific apps to take advantage of the foldable screen.
There have been many clues to the coming of such a device in the past, with Samsung filing for a patent on a system that warns users when they are over-bending their device's display. The company has also been actively demonstrating its prowess in building flexible displays for some time now.
Just six months ago the company had filed a patent for a dual display smartphone-like device, with its flexible device being the centre piece of innovation. The new patent filing shows how far the company has got in that, with the double folding device now rumoured to be launched early next year.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens