10:27 12th Jun, 2014
Spice And Intex To Sell Mozilla's Low-Cost Firefox Smartphones In India
Many expect the Firefox OS-powered devices from Intex and Spice to cost just $25 (Rs 1,500).
Mozilla has tied up with Indian smartphone manufacturers Intex and Spice to bring its low-cost Firefox OS phones to the Indian market. In a bid to break the dominance of Android powered handsets in entry-level smartphone market, the Firefox-powered phones are expected to be as cheap as $25 (Rs 1,500).
"Intex is excited to announce its association with Mozilla which will enable us to develop unparalleled smart devices on the latest Firefox OS platform,” said Sanjay Kumar Kalirona, Business Head at Intex, in a Times of India report.
The Indian company believes that the platform will give them the edge in letting buyers of feature phones to upgrade to smart devices, at no added expense. Even Spice acknowledged its newly formed partnership with Mozilla and iterated that the devices born out of the venture will be affordable and for the mass market.
“These phones will be affordably priced to ensure everyone can enjoy and experience the power of the Firefox OS phone," said Dilip Modi, Co Founder and CEO of Spice Mobile.
Currently the cheapest Firefox OS-powered mobile device cost about $60 (Rs 3,500), but according to a recent report in the Wall Street Journal, Mozilla is planning to lower that to about $25. The report cites Mozilla's CEO, Gong Li as saying Firefox smartphones priced above $60 are 'still too expensive for most consumers in India.'
Mozilla is currently working with Chinese chipmaker Spreadtrum Communications to create a low-cost chipset that will enable OEM's to manufacture smartphones as cheap as $25. It however isn't know if the two Indian manufacturers will use the hardware in question in the planned devices.
“With a $25 price tag, there is no price gap between a smartphone and a feature phone. This attractive price point would help motivate feature phone users to switch to smartphones," added Gong Li, in the WSJ report.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones