10:54 09th Jun, 2014
Corning Comes Up With Revolutionary Anti-Reflective Coating For Displays
Demoed at Computex 2014, expect to see the technology heading to your next smartphone soon.
The makers of Gorilla Glass, Corning had something really unique to display at the Computex 2014 exhibition as it showed off a coating, which makes it almost anti-reflective.
While Apple has rejected Corning for its upcoming iPhone 6 by switching to Sapphire coated glass instead, the company has been working on something that troubles smartphone users a lot - the reflective displays. Corning demoed a new technology in the form of a coating that will to be applied to their Gorilla Glass screens to make it anti-reflective.
The anti-reflective coating needs to be applied to both sides of the display and will drop the reflectivity of the screen from standard 8% to mind-boggling 1%. The coating which is applied using Zero Air Gap technology reduces reflection as you can see from the video below.
It’s hard to identify that the glass screen even exists over the display. The anti-reflective coating is a blessing for smartphone users who often struggle while reading in direct sunlight. The coating improves contrast and outdoor readability from 40% to a staggering 123%. There is a 90% reduction in reflectance, while the display will deliver 3X more colour in outdoor situations.
Corning clearly wants to show Apple on what they lost out after the smartphone giant switched over to their own sapphire coating solution. As of now, we would choose Corning’s anti-reflective coating any day over Apple’s strengthened sapphire coated display. But we think that flagship displays would adopt both technologies in the near future.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens