Alnoor M Peermohamed
15:40 03rd Jun, 2014
BSNL Brings Facebook To Mobiles Without Internet Connectivity | TechTree.com
BSNL Brings Facebook To Mobiles Without Internet Connectivity
The service will rely on USSD technology, the same thing operators use to send you alerts on your mobile.
State-run telecom service provider BSNL has launched a service where users can access Facebook on mobile, sans internet connectivity. Users will have to pay Rs 4, Rs 10 or Rs 20 to gain access to the service for a day, week or month respectively.
The service runs on Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) technology, which is typically used by operators to send alerts to users. BSNL has tied up with U2opia Mobile to provide Facebook connectivity to users in east and south zones at first, shortly after which the service will be rolled out for users in west and north zones.
Users will be able to access their accounts, view/post status messages, respond to friend requests, write on friends' walls, view birthday reminders and send messages, all the typical functionality Facebook provides users. Moreover, the service will work on all kinds of handsets, though it isn't clear whether they will have to support Facebook's mobile app or will be able to access the service through the phone's browser.
"Companies today are looking at enhancing the portfolio of offerings to voice and SMS customers and we are really excited to offer Facebook on USSD, given the rising popularity of social media," BSNL director Anupam Shrivastava said.
"These services are perfect for our always-connected customers who want to stay in touch with their Facebook friends - anytime, anywhere, on any mobile," said U2opoia Mobile CEO Sumesh Menon.
The move comes at a time when Facebook is tying up with telecom operators to provide access to the social network through subsidized data packs. Now using USSD technology, users in regions where there isn't any sort of internet connectivity can access Facebook.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals