Alnoor M Peermohamed
10:42 02nd Jun, 2014
Google Working On Moto X-Like Touchless Controls For All Devices
The feature is known internally as 'Android Eyes Free' and should be an opt-in just like Google Now.
Tech giant Google is rumoured to be actively developing touch-less control systems for all devices running its Android OS, similar to that seen on Motorola's flagship Moto X smartphone.
While the company is still going ahead with the sale of Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, we wouldn't be surprised to see more tech developed by Motorola being incorporated into Google's core Android.
One of the main selling points of the Moto X has been its 'always listening' functionality, that allows users to perform a variety of tasks by just speaking to the phone, without having to touch it. According to Android Police, Google is actively developing a system to allow your device to listen to you all the time and return Search results in a safe and helpful way, using just your voice and ears.
While there are still skeptics for the use of such technology on a phone, Google could be looking at its use while driving or riding, where it's unsafe for users to look at their phone screens. The report adds that Google is calling the feature KITT or 'Android Eyes Free' internally and will be based on the company's artificial intelligence engine.
Google is already working to give users relevant information at the right time with Google Now. The touch-less functionality will also be an opt-in similar to Google Now, and could even be an extension of the service in the future. This should please privacy centric users who may find it a bit too intrusive to allow their phones to listen to them all the time.
Motorola has risen to fame with cleaver features such as its touch-less controls, and it's now becoming clear why Google could have been interested in the company in the first place. Now that the search giant is selling off Motorola to Lenovo, it is to be seen what further innovation the company can bring to the table.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance