Alnoor M Peermohamed
16:55 20th May, 2014
Samsung Controls 71% Of The Global Smartwatch Market
If you thought Smasung's 29% share of the global smartphone market was monstrous, think again.
If you thought Samsung's 29 per cent share in the global smartphone market was monstrous, a new report suggests that the company is also leading the smartwatch race, with a market share of 71 per cent.
Samsung shipped as many as 500,000 smartwatches in the first quarter of 2014, according to research firm Strategic Analysis. These numbers don't even include sales of the Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and Gear Fit smartwatches which were launched in the month of April.
The overall global smartwatch market in the first quarter of this year is estimated at 700,000 units. Smartwatch shipments grew by an unprecedented 250 per cent in Q1 as compared to sales in the same period last year. The report adds that the sector may not be done with posting such explosive growth figures.
New entrants with deep pockets to spend on advertising and more people opening up to use of such devices, will ensure steady growth in smartwatch sales. Moreover, with forces like Google and Apple expected to unveil their wearable devices soon, it's safe to say that the smartwatch war has only begun.
While these numbers do not define the number of smartwatches sold to consumers, it's safe to say that retailers do see sales of such devices picking up in the near future. Both LG and Motorola have created a buzz in the tech industry with their upcoming Android Wear smartwatches, and the market being relatively small, it's fair to say it's still anyone's game.
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week