18:33 06th Feb, 2012
Samsung And Corning's Lotus Glass Headed For OLEDs
To debut with next GALAXY Nexus device.
The next iteration of Corning's Gorilla Glass claims to be 20% thinner, while maintaining the same impact and scratch-resistance properties as the original. While slimmer mobile devices are always welcome, there are many who won't mind sacrificing some real estate for added protection. Samsung seems to be one of them, since it's trying to achieve better strength as well as clarity for its flagship AMOLED displays.
The Korean electronics major has teamed up with Corning to create Lotus Glass, a beefed-up version of Gorilla Glass. The new reinfored screens are expected to be unveiled with Samsung's upcoming GALAXY Nexus devices. According to the reinforced glass manufacturer, this new screen will offer increased picture quality, faster response time, and higher resolutions, along with providing better structural integrity.
Corning's press release however, says that Lotus Glass is meant for TFT LCDs as well, and not just OLED screens. It also claims to enable more power-efficient displays, thanks to a thinner form factor and a better ability to transmit light. I guess we will have to wait for the crazy drop tests on YouTube to see if Lotus screens are indeed tougher than Gorilla displays.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance