11:24 12th May, 2014
Apple To Launch The Cheaper 8GB Variant Of Its iPhone 5c In India | TechTree.com
Apple To Launch The Cheaper 8GB Variant Of Its iPhone 5c In India
The news comes soon after Apple withdrew the iPhone 4 from sale in India.
Apple will launch the cheaper 8GB variant of the iPhone 5c in India by early June, in the hope to pep up sales and make back lost market share. The device was launched in other global markets a little over a month ago in an attempt to boost the global average selling price (ASP) of the iPhone range.
According to Economic Times, the 8GB variant of the iPhone 5c will retail for around Rs 35,000 – 37,000 in India, with a buyback option bringing that price down to Rs 30,000. In effect, the device will cost about Rs 2,000 less than the current 16GB variant.
The company recently withdrew its cheapest iPhone 4 model from sale in India, just four months after it was re-launched. The Rs 20,000 price tag hurt Apple's global ASP for the iPhone which was the lowest during the January-March quarter.
"Apple's iPhone5c 8GB model is likely to do well in India, since most consumers in India do not care much about the storage memory if there is a good price and deal," said an unnamed source with knowledge of the developments, in the ET report.
Analysts have been largely critical of the iPhone 5c, saying that it isn't doing its intended job of driving Apple's sales in emerging markets. The 8GB variant is sort of a last resort the company is taking to improve sales of the model, though true sales numbers aren't known as Apple does not release a sales break-up.
In India, Apple's market share stood at just 2.4 per cent in the January-March quarter of 2014, while rival Samsung led with a 38.9 per cent share. The company is now looking to close the gap between Samsung in the smartphone space, while at the same time maintain a sound balance sheet.
TAGS: Mobile Phones, iOS, Apple, iPhone 5c, India
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals