11:41 07th May, 2014
So Fitness-Tracker Moves Will Share Data With Facebook After All | TechTree.com
So Fitness-Tracker Moves Will Share Data With Facebook After All
Facebook may not use data from Moves, but there's nothing stopping it from forwarding the info to advertisers?
Social networking giant Facebook recently entered the fitness tracking bandwagon by snatching up the developer that gave us the app Moves. At the time of purchase the two companies promised they wouldn't share user data, an issue which privacy-minded users had raised flags for.
According to Engadget, Moves claims the data sharing is to "help provide, understand, and improve" their service. With the companies unwilling to give out any more information, the update sounds like a complete reversal of what was promised when the deal was made public.
A Facebook spokesperson supposedly reiterated to the Wall Street Journal that there wouldn't be any data mingling between the two companies, but added that Moves will share info with the parent company. Dwelling deeper, Facebook may indeed not be utilising data gathered by Moves, but that doesn't stop it from passing on the info to advertisers.
This could allow advertisers to target specific users of Moves who in turn crosscheck data from a persons Facebook account to better target advertisements. As Engadget humorously puts it: if you suddenly start getting ads trying to sell you running shoes on your Facebook feed, you know what's up.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals