Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
17:06 12th Oct, 2012
2011 Mobile Market Share Figures Released
Nokia still leads the race, while Apple jumps up to the third spot.
International Data Corporation (IDC) has released the figures for worldwide mobile shipments. Reportedly, a staggering 1546 million phones were shipped last year. Out of around 120 vendors in the list though, only five managed to leave their mark. Nokia continues to lead the mobile space by moving 417.1 million devices, accounting for 27% of the total market. Samsung notched up 329.4 million units to grab 21.3% of the market share. Interestingly, Apple rose to the third spot and pushed LG down to fourth place. Considering that Apple only ships high-end phones, the fact that it has managed to find a place in a list that includes low-end phones as well is truly impressive.
On the other hand, LG was the biggest loser with a whopping 25% decline in sales. Surprisingly, the relatively obscure Chinese manufacturer ZTE has emerged as the world's fifth biggest phone maker. Other big names such as Sony Ericsson and Motorola couldn't even make it to the top five. This probably means that abandoning their mass-market phones to focus on Android devices wasn't really a smart move.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones