21:51 20th Apr, 2014
Google Could Be Working On A Sub-$100 Nexus Smartphone
The news does fall in line with Google's plan to mantain its stronghold in the low to mid-range smartphone market.
Google's Nexus devices have always offered great value for money, but new rumours suggest that the company could be working on a new breed of ultra-affrodable smartphones. Unlike current Nexus devices which compete in the high-end market, the rumoured device will retail for under $100.
According to BGR, the device will pack a MediaTek processor for the development of which Google has already begun working with the Taiwanese chipmaker. While none of the developments have been confirmed officially, what gives this rumour legs is Google's plans to maintain a stronghold on the low to mid-range smartphone market.
There have already been reports of Google wanting to expand its Nexus line-up with a new 8.9-inch tablet which will be built by HTC, so other devices could soon follow. Typically the company has launched new devices alongside newer versions of its Android operating system, with the Nexus phones coming in the fourth quarter of the year.
More details of Google's plans for Android and the devices it uses to show it off the OS are expected to come at the developers conference in June this year. A new breed of Nexus devices could be unveiled alongside Android version 4.4 to counter the challenge that Microsoft has thrown down with the upgrades to its Windows mobile operating system.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens