12:52 14th Apr, 2014
BlackBerry's BBM App To Get Security Updates To Ward Off Heartbleed Attack
The company claims the service is safe to use even before the updates are rolled out.
BlackBerry has announced that it will roll out security updates for its BBM messaging service for Android and iOS devices by Friday, addressing the vulnerabilities in the program related to the Heartbleed bug.
News of the Heartbleed security threat broke last week when researchers discovered a bug that targets the OpenSSL software commonly used to keep data secure. Through this hackers could steal large amounts of information without leaving a trace.
At first security consultants only warned companies to secure vulnerable websites, but since then have elevated the threat to affecting technology used in data centers and on mobile devices running Google's Android and Apple's iOS operating systems.
BlackBerry has announced that bulk of its products are not vulnerable to the bug, however two of its most widely used products - Secure Work Space corporate email and BBM messaging for Android and iOS, will receive security updates.
A company spokesperson said that the two services are vulnerable to attack if hackers gain access through Wifi connections or carrier networks. He said, "The level of risk here is extremely small," as BlackBerry's security technologies make it difficult for hackers to steal data through an attack.
"It's a very complex attack that has to be timed in a very small window," he said, adding that it was safe to use both services before the security updates are rolled out.
For now though mobile app developers have time to figure which products are vulnerable to attack and fix them. It will take hackers a couple of weeks to a month to move from 'proof of concept' to actually exploiting devices.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance