10:56 14th Apr, 2014
Report Suggests 44% Of Twitter Users Have Never Tweeted Even Once
While Twitter has no problems signing up new users, engaging them is proving to be a challenge.
According to Twopcharts, a website that monitors Twitter account activity, about 44% of the 974 million existing Twitter accounts have never sent a tweet. The service doesn't have access to see how many users actually log into their accounts, but can view how many accounts tweet or retweet a message.
While Twitter claimed it had an average of 241 million active users every month for the last three months of they year 2013, the company classifies active users on the basis that they log into the service at least once a month. That means by Twitter's standards a user doesn't have to tweet to be deemed active.
This doesn't come as a surprise as a large number of Twitter users merely see the platform as a good way of getting news, as there clearly isn't any sort of dearth of information going around. However, this doesn't solve the company's problem of engaging users, as those who engage in online conversations are more likely to keep users inclined to using the service.
Second, and just as important to Twitter, is generation of advertising revenue through user tweets, retweets and favourites. The company has been actively making it easier for users to do so through introduction of pictures in the timeline and adding many such smaller features.
Twitter declined to provide a statement, saying that the company doesn't comment on third party data. According to Twopcharts only 30 per cent of existing Twitter accounts have sent 1-10 tweets, and a mere 13 per cent of the accounts have tweeted over a 100 times. A majority of users are either passively reading information on Twitter or haven't come back to the service.
However, the biggest issue for Twitter highlighted by the report is that 542.1 million accounts have sent at least one tweet since they were created, but only 23 per cent of those accounts have tweeted sometime in the last 30 days.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance