Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
12:38 21st Feb, 2012
Dustbins Go Tech-Savvy In London
Flaunt LCD screens and Wi-Fi connectivity.
We keep hearing about the world getting more high-tech with each passing day. For us in India, it doesn't go beyond cutting-edge smartphones and computers. However, the folks in London are doing something unthinkable. It sounds weird, but the Brits have added LCD screens and Wi-Fi connectivity to street-side garbage bins!
The fancy trashcan displays news and stock quotes on its two LCD screens. Currently, most of the content comes from The Economist and the London Stock Exchange. However, in the event of a crisis, it will broadcast updates directly from emergency services. What's more, the bins are equipped with Wi-Fi, allowing them to double up as a hotspot.
The project is run by the UK-based Renew Solutions. Reportedly, it costs them a staggering 30,000 pounds (approx Rs 23 lakh) to install a single unit. Little wonder then that the company executives are hoping to rope in some sponsors.
Around 25 such dustbins are already functional in London, and Renew is set to install 75 more before the London 2012 Olympics kicks off. Keeping with the spirit of competitive sports, the perfect additions to this gizmo would be a touchscreen and an installation of Angry Birds.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance