10:10 10th Apr, 2014
BlackBerry Doesn't Mind Shutting Its Phone Business In The Pursuit Of Profits | TechTree.com
BlackBerry Doesn't Mind Shutting Its Phone Business In The Pursuit Of Profits
Hopefully it won't come to that, but the company has to sell 10 million phones a year to keep the business alive.
BlackBerry is struggling, and CEO John Chen has made it clear that he will do anything to turn the company's fortunes around by 2016 - even shut down the smartphone division.
He recently told Bloomberg that while phones are still part of BlackBerry's plan, he will not rely on them for revenues and “may not be in the handset business” if the hardware doesn't make any cash. Chen is now turning to software to power the company's earnings, which include enterprise offerings and expansion of its QNX platform.
However, Chen doesn't believe it will ever come down to axing BlackBerry's once legendary handset division. He claims that it is still possible for the company to make money selling phones, as long as it ships at least 10 million units per year.
There was a glimmer of hope when BlackBerry recently slashed the rates of its phones, aiding a sudden buying frenzy. It proved to the company that if products were made well and priced right, people were still willing to invest in them. However, it is yet to be seen if the company can make it through this dark hour, with giants like Samsung and Apple ever eating into its user base.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance